Insomnia is a common problem and auricular acupuncture is an alternative treatment method increasingly used by health personnel. In auricular acupuncture, acupuncture needles are placed at specific points on the outer ear.
What systematic reviews are there on the effect of auricular acupuncture on insomnia?
No relevant systematic review was identified but 4 primary studies were identified [1-4]. The primary studies were not assessed for risk of bias.
This is an update of a previous report on auricular acupuncture in insomnia treatment .
- Bergdahl L, Broman JE, Berman AH, Haglund K, von Knorring L, Markstrom A. Auricular Acupuncture and Cognitive Behavioural Therapy for Insomnia: A Randomised Controlled Study. Sleep Disorders Print 2016;2016:7057282.
- Garner BK, Hopkinson SG, Ketz AK, is CA, Trego LL. Auricular Acupuncture for Chronic Pain and Insomnia: A Randomized Clinical Trial. Medical Acupuncture 2018;30:262-272.
- Chung KF, Yeung WF, Yu BY, Leung FC, Zhang SP, Zhang ZJ, et al. Acupuncture with or without combined auricular acupuncture for insomnia: a randomised, waitlist-controlled trial. Acupuncture in Medicine 2018;36:2-13.
- Chung KF, Yeung WF, Yu BY, Zhang SP, Zhang ZJ. Combined electroacupuncture and auricular acupuncture for primary insomnia: a randomised controlled trial of dose-response effect. Hong Kong Medical Journal 2019;25 Suppl 2:28-33.
- SBU. Öronakupunktur vid behandling av sömnsvårigheter. Stockholm: Statens beredning för medicinsk och social utvärdering (SBU); 2015. SBU:s upplysningstjänst. Available from: https://www.sbu.se/oronakupunktur.
SBU Enquiry Service Consists of structured literature searches to highlight studies that can address questions received by the SBU Enquiry Service from Swedish healthcare or social service providers. We assess the risk of bias in systematic reviews and when needed also quality and transferability of results in health economic studies. Relevant references are compiled by an SBU staff member, in consultation with an external expert when needed.
|Registration no:||SBU 2020/110|