SBU Policy support
identifies and presents available scientific evidence to support policy and decision making, including the development of national guidelines, at other government agencies. In consultation with professional experts, SBU staff generates supporting documentation to address the various questions that have been posed.
- We have not found any scientific studies which explains the increase in incidence in children and adolescents who seek the heath care because of gender dysphoria.
- We have not found any studies on changes in prevalence of gender dysphoria over calendar time, nor any studies on factors that can affect the societal acceptance of seeking for gender dysphoria.
- There are few studies on gender affirming surgery in general in children and adolescents and only single studies on gender affirming genital surgery.
- Studies on long-term effects of gender affirming treatment in children and adolescents are few, especially for the groups that have appeared during the recent decennium.
- The scientific activity in the field seems high. A large part of the identified studies are published during 2018 and 2019.
- Almost all identified studies are observational, some with controls and some with evaluation before and after gender affirming treatment. No relevant randomised controlled trials in children and adolescents were found.
- We have not found any composed national information from Sweden on:
– the proportion of those who seek health care for gender dysphoria that get a formal diagnosis
– the proportion starting endocrine treatment to delay puberty
– the proportion starting gender affirming hormonal treatment
– the proportion subjected to different gender affirming surgery
Full report in Swedish
The full report in Swedish "Könsdysfori hos barn och unga"
PubMed via NLM 6 September 2019
Title: Gender dysphoria & children/adolescence
* = Truncation
The search result, usually found at the end of the documentation, forms the list of abstracts.; [AU] = Author; [MAJR] = MeSH Major Topic; [MeSH] = Term from the Medline controlled vocabulary, including terms found below this term in the MeSH hierarchy; [MeSH:NoExp] = Does not include terms found below this term in the MeSH hierarchy; [OT] = Other term; [SB] = Filter for retrieving systematic reviews; [TW] = Text Word; Systematic; [TI] = Title; [TIAB] = Title or abstract
|Search terms||Items found|
|Population: persons with gender dysphoria|
|3.||"Sex Reassignment Procedures"[Mesh]||671|
|5.||"Health Services for Transgender Persons"[Mesh]||116|
|6.||(agender[ti] OR "assigned female"[ti] OR "assigned females"[ti] OR "assigned male"[ti] OR "assigned males"[ti] OR bigender[ti] OR bi-gender[ti] OR "confirmation surgery"[ti] OR female-born[ti] OR "gender change"[ti] OR gender confirm*[ti] OR "gender dysphoria"[ti] OR "gender fluid"[ti] OR "gender identity disorder"[ti] OR "gender reassignment"[ti] OR "gender transition"[ti] OR "gender transitioning"[ti] OR gender-affirming[ti] OR gender affirmative[ti] OR gender incongru*[ti] OR gender non-binary[ti] OR gender nonbinary[ti] OR gender non-conform*[ti] OR transfeminine[ti] OR transgender*[ti] OR trans-gender[ti]OR trans-man[ti] OR transmasculine[ti] OR transpeople[ti] OR trans-people[ti] OR transpopulation[ti] OR trans-population[ti] OR transsex*[ti] OR trans-sex*[ti] OR trans-wom*[ti] OR transwom*[ti])||5265|
|7.||(agender[tiab] OR "assigned female"[tiab] OR "assigned females"[tiab] OR "assigned male"[tiab] OR "assigned males"[tiab] OR bigender[tiab] OR bi-gender[tiab] OR "confirmation surgery"[tiab] OR female-born[tiab] OR "gender change"[tiab] OR gender confirm*[tiab] OR "gender dysphoria"[tiab] OR "gender fluid"[tiab] OR "gender identity disorder"[tiab] OR "gender reassignment"[tiab] OR "gender transition"[tiab] OR "gender transitioning"[tiab] OR gender-affirming[tiab] OR gender affirmative[tiab] OR gender incongru*[tiab] OR gender non-binary[tiab] OR gender nonbinary[tiab] OR gender non-conform*[tiab] OR transfeminine[tiab] OR transgender*[tiab] OR trans-gender[tiab]OR trans-man[tiab] OR transmasculine[tiab] OR transpeople[tiab] OR trans-people[tiab] OR transpopulation[tiab] OR trans-population[tiab] OR transsex*[tiab] OR trans-sex*[tiab] OR trans-wom*[tiab] OR transwom*[tiab]) NOT medline[SB]||1932|
|8.||1 OR 2 OR 3 OR 4 OR 5 OR 6 OR 7||8168|
|Population: children and adolescents|
|9.||("Child"[Mesh] OR "child"[tw] OR "children"[tw] OR "Infant"[Mesh] OR "infant"[tw] OR "infants"[tw] OR "infancy"[tw] OR "newborn"[tw] OR "newborns"[tw] OR "new-born"[tw] OR "new-borns"[tw] OR "neonate"[tw] OR "neonates"[tw] OR "neonatal"[tw] OR "neo-nate"[tw] OR "neo-nates"[tw] OR "neo-natal"[tw] OR "neonatology"[tw] OR "NICU"[ti] OR "premature"[tw] OR "prematures"[tw] OR "pre-mature"[tw] OR "pre-matures"[tw] OR "preterm"[tw] OR "pre-term"[tw] OR "postnatal"[tw] OR "post-natal"[tw] OR "baby"[tw] OR "babies"[tw] OR "suckling"[tw] OR "sucklings"[tw] OR "toddler"[tw] OR "toddlers"[tw] OR "childhood"[tw] OR "schoolchild"[tw] OR "schoolchildren"[tw] OR "childcare"[tw] OR "child-care"[tw] OR "young"[ti] OR "youngster"[tw] OR "youngsters"[tw] OR "preschool"[tw] OR "pre-school"[tw] OR "kid"[tw] OR "kids"[tw] OR "boy"[tw] OR "boys"[tw] OR "girl"[tw] OR "girls"[tw] OR "Adolescent"[Mesh] OR "adolescent"[tw] OR "adolescents"[tw] OR "adolescence"[tw] OR "pre-adolescent"[tw] OR "pre-adolescents"[tw] OR "pre-adolescence"[tw] OR "schoolage"[tw] OR "schoolboy"[tw] OR "schoolboys"[tw] OR "schoolgirl"[tw] OR "schoolgirls"[tw] OR "pre-puber"[tw] OR "pre-pubers"[tw] OR "pre-puberty"[tw] OR "prepuber"[tw] OR "prepubers"[tw] OR "prepuberty"[tw] OR "puber"[tw] OR "pubers"[tw] OR "puberty"[tw] OR "puberal"[tw] OR "teenager"[tw] OR "teenagers"[tw] OR "teens"[tw] OR "youth"[tw] OR "youths"[tw] OR "underaged"[tw] OR "under-aged"[tw] OR "Pediatrics"[Mesh] OR "Pediatric"[tw] OR "Pediatrics"[tw] OR "Paediatric"[tw] OR "Paediatrics"[tw] OR "PICU"[ti] OR ("child"[all fields] NOT child[au]) OR children*[all fields] OR schoolchild*[all fields] OR "infant"[all fields] OR "infants"[all fields] OR "infancy"[all fields] OR adolesc*[all fields] OR pediat*[all fields] OR paediat*[all fields] OR neonat*[all fields] OR toddler*[all fields] OR "teen"[all fields] OR "teens"[all fields] OR teenager*[all fields] OR preteen*[all fields] OR newborn*[all fields] OR postneonat*[all fields] OR postnatal*[all fields] OR "puberty"[all fields] OR preschool*[all fields] OR suckling*[all fields] OR "juvenile"[all fields] OR "new born"[all fields] OR "new borns"[all fields] OR new-born*[all fields] OR neo-nat*[all fields] OR neonat*[all fields] OR perinat*[all fields] OR underag*[all fields] OR "under age"[all fields] OR "under aged"[all fields] OR youth*[all fields] OR kinder*[all fields] OR pubescen*[all fields] OR prepubescen*[all fields] OR "prepuberty"[all fields] OR "school age"[all fields] OR "schoolage"[all fields] OR "school ages"[all fields] OR schoolage*[all fields] OR "one year old"[ti] OR "two year old"[ti] OR "three year old"[ti] OR "four year old"[ti] OR "five year old"[ti] OR "six year old"[ti] OR "seven year old"[ti] OR "eight year old"[ti] OR "nine year old"[ti] OR "ten year old"[ti] OR "eleven year old"[ti] OR "twelve year old"[ti] OR "thirteen year old"[ti] OR "fourteen year old"[ti] OR "fifteen year old"[ti] OR "sixteen year old"[ti] OR "seventeen year old"[ti] OR "eighteen year old"[ti] OR "1 year old"[ti] OR "2 year old"[ti] OR "3 year old"[ti] OR "4 year old"[ti] OR "5 year old"[ti] OR "6 year old"[ti] OR "7 year old"[ti] OR "8 year old"[ti] OR "9 year old"[ti] OR "10 year old"[ti] OR "11 year old"[ti] OR "12 year old"[ti] OR "13 year old"[ti] OR "14 year old"[ti] OR "15 year old"[ti] OR "16 year old"[ti] OR "17 year old"[ti] OR "18 year old"[ti] OR "two years old"[ti] OR "three years old"[ti] OR "four years old"[ti] OR "five years old"[ti] OR "six years old"[ti] OR "seven years old"[ti] OR "eight years old"[ti] OR "nine years old"[ti] OR "ten years old"[ti] OR "eleven years old"[ti] OR "twelve years old"[ti] OR "thirteen years old"[ti] OR "fourteen years old"[ti] OR "fifteen years old"[ti] OR "sixteen years old"[ti] OR "seventeen years old"[ti] OR "eighteen years old"[ti] OR "2 years old"[ti] OR "3 years old"[ti] OR "4 years old"[ti] OR "5 years old"[ti] OR "6 years old"[ti] OR "7 years old"[ti] OR "8 years old"[ti] OR "9 years old"[ti] OR "10 years old"[ti] OR "11 years old"[ti] OR "12 years old"[ti] OR "13 years old"[ti] OR "14 years old"[ti] OR "15 years old"[ti] OR "16 years old"[ti] OR "17 years old"[ti] OR "18 years old"[ti])||4781542|
|10.||8 AND 9||2729|
|Combined sets, limited to study types: systematic reviews and meta-analysis (filter: PubMed1, with modifications, broad)|
|11.||(systematic review [ti] OR meta-analysis [pt] OR systematic review[pt] OR meta-analysis [ti] OR systematic literature review [ti] OR this systematic review [tw] OR pooling project [tw] OR (systematic review [tiab] AND review [pt]) OR meta synthesis [ti] OR meta-analy*[ti] OR integrative review [tw] OR integrative research review [tw] OR rapid review [tw] OR umbrella review [tw] OR consensus development conference [pt] OR practice guideline [pt] OR drug class reviews [ti] OR cochrane database syst rev [ta] OR acp journal club [ta] OR health technol assess [ta] OR evid rep technol assess summ [ta] OR jbi database system rev implement rep [ta]) OR (clinical guideline [tw] AND management [tw]) OR ((evidence based[ti] OR evidence-based medicine [mh] OR best practice* [ti] OR evidence synthesis [tiab]) AND (review [pt] OR diseases category[mh] OR behavior and behavior mechanisms [mh] OR therapeutics [mh] OR evaluation studies[pt] OR validation studies[pt] OR guideline [pt] OR pmcbook)) OR ((systematic [tw] OR systematically [tw] OR critical [tiab] OR (study selection [tw]) OR (predetermined [tw] OR inclusion [tw] AND criteri* [tw]) OR exclusion criteri* [tw] OR main outcome measures [tw] OR standard of care [tw] OR standards of care [tw]) AND (survey [tiab] OR surveys [tiab] OR overview* [tw] OR review [tiab] OR reviews [tiab] OR search* [tw] OR handsearch [tw] OR analysis [ti] OR critique [tiab] OR appraisal [tw] OR(reduction [tw]AND (risk [mh] OR risk [tw]) AND (death OR recurrence))) AND (literature [tiab] OR articles [tiab] OR publications [tiab] OR publication [tiab] OR bibliography [tiab] OR bibliographies [tiab] OR published [tiab] OR pooled data [tw] OR unpublished [tw] OR citation [tw] OR citations [tw] OR database [tiab] OR internet [tiab] OR textbooks [tiab] OR references [tw] OR scales [tw] OR papers [tw] OR datasets [tw] OR trials [tiab] OR meta-analy* [tw] OR (clinical [tiab] AND studies [tiab]) OR treatment outcome [mh] OR treatment outcome [tw] OR pmcbook)) NOT(letter [pt] OR newspaper article [pt])||420344|
|12.||10 AND 11||97|
|13.||12 ANDFilters activated: Publication date from 2013/08/01.||81|
|14.||10 NOT 13||2648|
|15.||14 NOT (letter [pt] OR newspaper article [pt] OR "Editorial" [Publication Type] OR "Comment" [Publication Type]) AND (english[la] OR swedish[la] OR danish[la] OR norwegian[la])||2327|
Gender dysphoria in children and adolescents
Studies considered not relevant
|Study||Reason for exclusion|
|Abel BS. Hormone treatment of children and adolescents with gender dysphoria: an ethical analysis. The Hastings Center report. 2014;44 Suppl 4:S23-7.||Ethics|
|Adams N, Hitomi M, Moody C. Varied Reports of Adult Transgender Suicidality: Synthesizing and Describing the Peer-Reviewed and Gray Literature. Transgender health. 2017;2(1):60-75.||Mix of literature|
|Aitken M, Steensma TD, Blanchard R, VanderLaan DP, Wood H, Fuentes A, et al. Evidence for an altered sex ratio in clinic-referred adolescents with gender dysphoria. The journal of sexual medicine. 2015;12(3):756-63.||Age|
|Alessandrin A. The notion of regret in the clinical approach to gender reassignment. Evolution Psychiatrique. 2019;84(2):277-84.||Review|
|Allen LR, Watson LB, Egan AM, Moser CN. Well-being and suicidality among transgender youth after gender-affirming hormones. Clinical Practice in Pediatric Psychology. 2019;7(3):302-11.||Short term follow-up|
|Angus L, Leemaqz S, Ooi O, Cundill P, Silberstein N, Locke P, et al. Cyproterone acetate or spironolactone in lowering testosterone concentrations for transgender individuals receiving oestradiol therapy. Endocr Connect. 2019;8(7):935-40.||Cyproterone acetate not used in Sweden|
|Aranda G, Fernandez-Rebollo E, Pradas-Juni M, Hanzu FA, Kalko SG, Halperin I, et al. Effects of sex steroids on the pattern of methylation and expression of the promoter region of estrogen and androgen receptors in people with gender dysphoria under cross-sex hormone treatment. The Journal of steroid biochemistry and molecular biology. 2017;172:20-8.||Non-clinical|
|Aranda G, Mora M, Hanzu FA, Vera J, Ortega E, Halperin I. Effects of sex steroids on cardiovascular risk profile in transgender men under gender affirming hormone therapy. Endocrinol Diabetes Nutricion. 2019;66(6):385-92.||Short term follow-up|
|Arcelus J, Bouman WP, Van Den Noortgate W, Claes L, Witcomb G, Fernandez-Aranda F. Systematic review and meta-analysis of prevalence studies in transsexualism. European Psychiatry. 2015;30(6):807-15.||Data from before rise in numbers seeking care|
|Armuand G, Dhejne C, Olofsson JI, Rodriguez-Wallberg KA. Transgender men's experiences of fertility preservation: A qualitative study. Hum Reprod. 2017;32(2):383-90.||Fertility|
|Arnold JD, Sarkodie EP, Coleman ME, Goldstein DA. Incidence of Venous Thromboembolism in Transgender Women Receiving Oral Estradiol. The journal of sexual medicine. 2016;13(11):1773-7.||Oral oestrogens not relevant in Sweden|
|Ascha M, Massie JP, Morrison SD, Crane CN, Chen ML. Outcomes of Single Stage Phalloplasty by Pedicled Anterolateral Thigh Flap versus Radial Forearm Free Flap in Gender Confirming Surgery. The Journal of urology. 2018;199(1):206-14.||Age|
|Asscheman H, T'Sjoen G, Lemaire A, Mas M, Meriggiola MC, Mueller A, et al. Venous thrombo-embolism as a complication of cross-sex hormone treatment of male-to-female transsexual subjects: a review. Andrologia. 2014;46(7):791-5.||Old data|
|Auer MK, Fuss J, Nieder TO, Briken P, Biedermann SV, Stalla GK, et al. Desire to Have Children Among Transgender People in Germany: A Cross-Sectional Multi-Center Study. The journal of sexual medicine. 2018;15(5):757-67.||Fertility|
|Aydin D, Buk LJ, Partoft S, Bonde C, Thomsen MV, Tos T. Transgender Surgery in Denmark from 1994 to 2015: 20-Year Follow-Up Study. The journal of sexual medicine. 2016;13(4):720-5.||Trends in surgery in Denmark|
|Bailey L, Ellis SJ, McNeil J. Suicide risk in the UK trans population and the role of gender transition in decreasing suicidal ideation and suicide attempt. Mental Health Review Journal. 2014;19(4):209-20.||Fertility|
|Barnard EP, Dhar CP, Rothenberg SS, Menke MN, Witchel SF, Montano GT, et al. Fertility Preservation Outcomes in Adolescent and Young Adult Feminizing Transgender Patients. Pediatrics. 2019;144(3).||Fertility|
|Bartholomaeus C, Riggs DW. Transgender and non-binary Australians' experiences with healthcare professionals in relation to fertility preservation. Culture, health & sexuality. 2019:1-17.||Fertility|
|Becerra Fernández A. Gender identity disorders: Guidelines for their diagnosis and treatment. Endocrinol Nutr. 2003;50(1):19-33.||Guide lines|
|Becerra-Fernández A, Rodríguez-Molina JM, Asenjo-Araque N, Lucio-Pérez MJ, Cuchí-Alfaro M, García-Camba E, et al. Prevalence, Incidence, and Sex Ratio of Transsexualism in the Autonomous Region of Madrid (Spain) According to Healthcare Demand. Archives of Sexual Behavior. 2017;46(5):1307-12.||Regional|
|Bechard M, VanderLaan DP, Wood H, Wasserman L, Zucker KJ. Psychosocial and Psychological Vulnerability in Adolescents with Gender Dysphoria: A "Proof of Principle" Study. Journal of sex & marital therapy. 2017;43(7):678-88.||Short-term follow-up|
|Bennett CM, Dillman Taylor D. Acting as yourself: Implementing acceptance and commitment therapy for transgender adolescents through a developmental lens. Journal of Child and Adolescent Counseling. 2019.||Implementation|
|Bertrand B, Perchenet AS, Colson TR, Drai D, Casanova D. [Female-to-male transgender chest reconstruction: A retrospective study of patient satisfaction]. Annales de chirurgie plastique et esthetique. 2017;62(4):303-7.||Language|
|Bizic MR, Jeftovic M, Pusica S, Stojanovic B, Duisin D, Vujovic S, et al. Gender Dysphoria: Bioethical Aspects of Medical Treatment. BioMed Research International. 2018;2018.||Ethics|
|Blanchard R, Steiner BW, Clemmensen LH, Dickey R. Prediction of regrets in postoperative transsexuals. Canadian journal of psychiatry Revue canadienne de psychiatrie. 1989;34(1):43-5.||Old data, sexuality|
|Bockting WO. Vulnerability and resilience among gender-nonconforming children and adolescents: Mental health professionals have a key role to play. Journal of the American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry. 2016;55(6):441-3.||Editorial|
|Boos MD, Yeung H, Inwards-Breland D. Dermatologic care of sexual and gender minority/LGBTQIA youth, part I: An update for the dermatologist on providing inclusive care. Pediatric dermatology. 2019.||Guide-lines|
|Bouman MB, van Zeijl MC, Buncamper ME, Meijerink WJ, van Bodegraven AA, Mullender MG. Intestinal vaginoplasty revisited: a review of surgical techniques, complications, and sexual function. The journal of sexual medicine. 2014;11(7):1835-47.||Non-systematic review|
|Bouman WP, Richards C, Addinall RM, Arango de Montis I, Arcelus J, Duisin D, et al. Yes and yes again: Are standards of care which require two referrals for genital reconstructive surgery ethical? Sexual and Relationship Therapy. 2014;29(4):377-89.||Ethics, position paper|
|Braun H, Nash R, Tangpricha V, Brockman J, Ward K, Goodman M. Cancer in transgender people: Evidence and methodological considerations. Epidemiologic Reviews. 2017;39(1):93-107.||Review, methods|
|Brik T, Vrouenraets L, Schagen SEE, Meissner A, de Vries MC, Hannema SE. Use of Fertility Preservation Among a Cohort of Transgirls in the Netherlands. The Journal of adolescent health: official publication of the Society for Adolescent Medicine. 2019;64(5):589-93.||Fertility|
|Brown GR, Jones KT. Incidence of breast cancer in a cohort of 5,135 transgender veterans. Breast cancer research and treatment. 2015;149(1):191-8.||Included in systematic reviews ref 73 och 74 in the report|
|Bryson C, Honig SC. Genitourinary Complications of Gender-Affirming Surgery. Current Urology Reports. 2019;20(6).||Review|
|Burke SM, Manzouri AH, Dhejne C, Bergstrom K, Arver S, Feusner JD, et al. Testosterone Effects on the Brain in Transgender Men. Cerebral cortex (New York, NY : 1991). 2018;28(5):1582-96.||Included in ref 72 in the report|
|Burke SM, Manzouri AH, Savic I. Structural connections in the brain in relation to gender identity and sexual orientation. Scientific reports. 2017;7(1):17954||Not specifically gender dysphoria|
|Butler G, De Graaf N, Wren B, Carmichael P. Assessment and support of children and adolescents with gender dysphoria. Archives of disease in childhood. 2018;103(7):631-6.||Review|
|Campo-Engelstein L, Chen D, Baratz AB, Johnson EK, Finlayson C. The Ethics of Fertility Preservation for Pediatric Patients with Differences (Disorders) of Sex Development. Journal of the Endocrine Society. 2017;1(6):638-45.||Fertility|
|Cartaya J, Lopez X. Gender dysphoria in youth: a review of recent literature. Current opinion in endocrinology, diabetes, and obesity. 2018;25(1):44-8.||Review|
|Casado JC, Rodriguez-Parra MJ, Adrian JA. Voice feminization in male-to-female transgendered clients after Wendler's glottoplasty with vs. without voice therapy support. European archives of oto-rhino-laryngology: official journal of the European Federation of Oto-Rhino-Laryngological Societies (EUFOS) : affiliated with the German Society for Oto-Rhino-Laryngology - Head and Neck Surgery. 2017;274(4):2049-58.||Age|
|Castellano E, Crespi C, Dell'Aquila C, Rosato R, Catalano C, Mineccia V, et al. Quality of life and hormones after sex reassignment surgery. J Endocrinol Invest. 2015;38(12):1373-81.||Short-term follow-up|
|Chen D, Kyweluk MA, Sajwani A, Gordon EJ, Johnson EK, Finlayson CA, et al. Factors Affecting Fertility Decision-Making Among Transgender Adolescents and Young Adults. LGBT Health. 2019;6(3):107-15.||Fertility|
|Chen D, Matson M, Macapagal K, Johnson EK, Rosoklija I, Finlayson C, et al. Attitudes Toward Fertility and Reproductive Health Among Transgender and Gender-Nonconforming Adolescents. The Journal of adolescent health: official publication of the Society for Adolescent Medicine. 2018;63(1):62-8.||Fertility|
|Chen D, Simons L, Johnson EK, Lockart BA, Finlayson C. Fertility Preservation for Transgender Adolescents. The Journal of adolescent health: official publication of the Society for Adolescent Medicine. 2017;61(1):120-3.||Fertility|
|Cheng PJ, Pastuszak AW, Myers JB, Goodwin IA, Hotaling JM. Fertility concerns of the transgender patient. Translational andrology and urology. 2019;8(3):209-18.||Fertility|
|Chiniara LN, Viner C, Palmert M, Bonifacio H. Perspectives on fertility preservation and parenthood among transgender youth and their parents. Archives of disease in childhood. 2019;104(8):739-44.||Fertility|
|Churcher Clarke A, Spiliadis A. 'Taking the lid off the box': The value of extended clinical assessment for adolescents presenting with gender identity difficulties. Clinical child psychology and psychiatry. 2019;24(2):338-52.||Case description|
|Claes KEY, Pattyn P, D'Arpa S, Robbens C, Monstrey SJ. Male-to-Female Gender Confirmation Surgery: Intestinal Vaginoplasty. Clinics in plastic surgery. 2018;45(3):351-60.||Methods description|
|Colizzi M, Costa R, Scaramuzzi F, Palumbo C, Tyropani M, Pace V, et al. Concomitant psychiatric problems and hormonal treatment induced metabolic syndrome in gender dysphoria individuals: a 2-year follow-up study. Journal of psychosomatic research. 2015;78(4):399-406.||Age|
|Colizzi M, Costa R, Todarello O. Transsexual patients’ psychiatric comorbidity and positive effect of cross-sex hormonal treatment on mental health: Results from a longitudinal study. Psychoneuroendocrinology. 2014;39:65-73.||Short-term follow-up|
|Cristofari S, Bertrand B, Leuzzi S, Rem K, Rausky J, Revol M, et al. Postoperative complications of male to female sex reassignment surgery: A 10-year French retrospective study. Annales de chirurgie plastique et esthetique. 2019;64(1):24-32.||Surgical complications|
|Cuccolo NG, Kang CO, Boskey ER, Ibrahim AMS, Blankensteijn LL, Taghinia A, et al. Masculinizing Chest Reconstruction in Transgender and Nonbinary Individuals: An Analysis of Epidemiology, Surgical Technique, and Postoperative Outcomes. Aesthetic plastic surgery. 2019.||Method, complications|
|D’Angelo R. Psychiatry’s ethical involvement in gender-affirming care. Australasian Psychiatry. 2018;26(5):460-3.||Ethics|
|Davidge-Pitts C, Clarke BL. Transgender bone health. Maturitas. 2019;127:35-42.||Review|
|de Vries ALC, Roehle R, Marshall L, Frisen L, van de Grift TC, Kreukels BPC, et al. Mental Health of a Large Group of Adults with Disorders of Sex Development in Six European Countries. Psychosomatic medicine. 2019;81(7):629-40.||Different sex development disorders|
|de Vries ALC, Steensma TD, Doreleijers TAH, Cohen‐Kettenis PT. Puberty suppression in adolescents with gender identity disorder: A prospective follow‐up study. Journal of Sexual Medicine. 2011;8(8):2276-83.||See ref 52 in the report|
|Deebel NA, Morin JP, Autorino R, Vince R, Grob B, Hampton LJ. Prostate Cancer in Transgender Women: Incidence, Etiopathogenesis, and Management Challenges. Urology. 2017;110:166-71.||Non-systematic review|
|Deuster D, Matulat P, Knief A, Zitzmann M, Rosslau K, Szukaj M, et al. Voice deepening under testosterone treatment in female-to-male gender dysphoric individuals. Eur Arch Oto-Rhino-Laryngol. 2016;273(4):959-65.||Age|
|Djordjevic ML, Bizic MR, Duisin D, Bouman MB, Buncamper M. Reversal surgery in regretful male-to-female transsexuals after sex reassignment surgery. Journal of Sexual Medicine. 2016;13(6):1000-7.||Surgical method|
|Djordjevic ML, Bizic MR. Comparison of two different methods for urethral lengthening in female to male (metoidioplasty) surgery. The journal of sexual medicine. 2013;10(5):1431-8.||Surgical method|
|Dy GW, Nolan IT, Hotaling J, Myers JB. Patient reported outcome measures and quality of life assessment in genital gender confirming surgery. Translational andrology and urology. 2019;8(3):228-40.||Review|
|Eldh J, Berg A, Gustafsson M. Long-term follow up after sex reassignment surgery. Scandinavian journal of plastic and reconstructive surgery and hand surgery. 1997;31(1):39-45.||Age, surgical outcome|
|Fakin RM, Zimmermann S, Kaye K, Lunger L, Weinforth G, Giovanoli P. Long-Term Outcomes in Breast Augmentation in Trans-Women: A 20-Year Experience. Aesthetic surgery journal. 2019;39(4):381-90.||Surgical outcome|
|Falcone M, Garaffa G, Gillo A, Dente D, Christopher AN, Ralph DJ. Outcomes of inflatable penile prosthesis insertion in 247 patients completing female to male gender reassignment surgery. BJU international. 2018;121(1):139-44.||Surgical outcome|
|Ferlatte O, Salway T, Rice SM, Oliffe JL, Knight R, Ogrodniczuk JS. Inequities in depression within a population of sexual and gender minorities. Journal of mental health (Abingdon, England). 2019:1-8.||Not specifically gender dysphoria|
|Fernandez JD, Tannock LR. Metabolic effects of hormone therapy in transgender patients. Endocrine practice: official journal of the American College of Endocrinology and the American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists. 2016;22(4):383-8.||Review|
|Fighera TM, da Silva E, Lindenau JD, Spritzer PM. Impact of cross-sex hormone therapy on bone mineral density and body composition in transwomen. Clinical endocrinology. 2018;88(6):856-62.||Included in ref 86 in the report|
|Fisher AD, Castellini G, Bandini E, Casale H, Fanni E, Benni L, et al. Cross-Sex Hormonal Treatment and Body Uneasiness in Individuals with Gender Dysphoria. Journal of Sexual Medicine. 2014;11(3):709-19.||Satisfaction|
|Frederick MJ, Berhanu AE, Bartlett R. Chest Surgery in Female to Male Transgender Individuals. Annals of plastic surgery. 2017;78(3):249-53.||Age, cannot differ younger pts.|
|Frisen L, Soder O, Rydelius PA. [Dramatic increase of gender dysphoria in youth]. Lakartidningen. 2017;114.||Review|
|Gaither TW, Awad MA, Osterberg EC, Murphy GP, Romero A, Bowers ML, et al. Postoperative Complications following Primary Penile Inversion Vaginoplasty among 330 Male-to-Female Transgender Patients. The Journal of urology. 2018;199(3):760-5.||Surgical method|
|Gava G, Cerpolini S, Martelli V, Battista G, Seracchioli R, Meriggiola MC. Cyproterone acetate vs leuprolide acetate in combination with transdermal oestradiol in transwomen: a comparison of safety and effectiveness. Clinical endocrinology. 2016;85(2):239-46.||Cyproterone acetate nor used in Sweden|
|Gijs L, Brewaeys A. Surgical Treatment of Gender Dysphoria in Adults and Adolescents: Recent Developments, Effectiveness, and Challenges. Annual Review of Sex Research. 2007;18(1):178-224.||Review|
|Gooren L, Morgentaler A. Prostate cancer incidence in orchidectomised male-to-female transsexual persons treated with oestrogens. Andrologia. 2014;46(10):1156-60.||Included in ref 74 in the report|
|Gooren LJ, van Trotsenburg MA, Giltay EJ, van Diest PJ. Breast cancer development in transsexual subjects receiving cross-sex hormone treatment. The journal of sexual medicine. 2013;10(12):3129-34.||Included in ref 73 and 74 in the report|
|Gurney K. Sex and the surgeon's knife: The family court's dilemma... informed consent and the specter of iatrogenic harm to children with intersex characteristics. Am J Law Med. 2007;33(4):625-61.||Ethics|
|Hamidi O, Davidge-Pitts CJ. Transfeminine Hormone Therapy. Endocrinol Metab Clin North Am. 2019;48(2):341-55.||Review|
|Hancock AB. An ICF Perspective on Voice-related Quality of Life of American Transgender Women. Journal of Voice. 2017;31(1):115.e1-.e8.||Method, age|
|Harris RM, Tishelman AC, Quinn GP, Nahata L. Decision Making and the Long-Term Impact of Puberty Blockade in Transgender Children. American Journal of Bioethics. 2019;19(2):67-9.||Ethics|
|Hartley RL, Stone JP, Temple-Oberle C. Breast cancer in transgender patients: A systematic review. Part 1: Male to female. European journal of surgical oncology: the journal of the European Society of Surgical Oncology and the British Association of Surgical Oncology. 2018;44(10):1455-62.||Same as ref 73 and 74 in the report|
|Hess J, Neto RR, Panic L, Rübben H, Senf W. Satisfaction with male-to-female gender reassignment surgery: Results of a retrospective analysis. Deutsches Ärzteblatt International. 2014;111(47):795-801.||Surgery, satisfaction|
|Hirsch S, Pickering J, Adler R. Meeting the Needs of Trans and Gender Diverse Youth: The Varied, Ubiquitous Role of the Speech-Language Pathologist in Voice and Communication Therapy/Training. Perspectives of the ASHA Special Interest Groups. 2019;4(1):111-7.||Review|
|Horbach SE, Bouman MB, Smit JM, Ozer M, Buncamper ME, Mullender MG. Outcome of Vaginoplasty in Male-to-Female Transgenders: A Systematic Review of Surgical Techniques. The journal of sexual medicine. 2015;12(6):1499-512.||Surgical method|
|Houk CP, Lee PA. The diagnosis and care of transsexual children and adolescents: a pediatric endocrinologists' perspective. Journal of pediatric endocrinology & metabolism: JPEM. 2006;19(2):103-9.||Review|
|Irwin JA, Coleman JD, Fisher CM, Marasco VM. Correlates of Suicide Ideation Among LGBT Nebraskans. Journal of Homosexuality. 2014;61(8):1172-91.||Nor gender dysphoria specifically|
|Jacobsson J, Andréasson M, Kölby L, Elander A, Selvaggi G. Patients’ Priorities Regarding Female-to-Male Gender Affirmation Surgery of the Genitalia—A Pilot Study of 47 Patients in Sweden. Journal of Sexual Medicine. 2017;14(6):857-64.||Surgery, attitudes|
|Jain J, Kwan D, Forcier M. Medroxyprogesterone Acetate in Gender-Affirming Therapy for Transwomen: Results from a Retrospective Study. The Journal of clinical endocrinology and metabolism. 2019.||Medroxyprogesterone acetate nor used in Sweden|
|Jeftovic M, Stojanovic B, Bizic M, Stanojevic D, Kisic J, Bencic M, et al. Hysterectomy with Bilateral Salpingo-Oophorectomy in Female-to-Male Gender Affirmation Surgery: Comparison of Two Methods. BioMed research international. 2018;2018:3472471.||Surgery, method, age|
|Kääriäinen M, Salonen K, Helminen M, Karhunen-Enckell U. Chest-wall contouring surgery in female-to-male transgender patients: A one-center retrospective analysis of applied surgical techniques and results. Scand J Surg. 2017;106(1):74-9.||Surgery, method, age|
|Kang A, Aizen JM, Cohen AJ, Bales GT, Pariser JJ. Techniques and considerations of prosthetic surgery after phalloplasty in the transgender male. Translational andrology and urology. 2019;8(3):273-82.||Surgery, method, age|
|Karpel L, Gardel B, Revol M, Brémont-Weil C, Ayoubi JM, Cordier B. Psychological and sexual well being of 207 transsexuals after sex reassignment in France. Annales Medico-Psychologiques. 2015;173(6):511-9.||Language|
|Kjölhede A, Cornelius F, Huss F, Kratz G. Metoidioplasty and groin flap phalloplasty as two surgical methods for the creation of a neophallus in female-to-male gender-confirming surgery: A retrospective study comprising 123 operated patients. JPRAS Open. 2019;22:1-8.||Surgery, method|
|Klein C, Gorzalka BB. Sexual functioning in transsexuals following hormone therapy and genital surgery: A review. Journal of Sexual Medicine. 2009;6(11):2922-39.||Review|
|Knox ADC, Ho AL, Leung L, Hynes S, Tashakkor AY, Park YS, et al. A Review of 101 Consecutive Subcutaneous Mastectomies and Male Chest Contouring Using the Concentric Circular and Free Nipple Graft Techniques in Female-to-Male Transgender Patients. Plastic and reconstructive surgery. 2017;139(6):1260e-72e.||Surgery, method|
|Kosche C, Mansh M, Luskus M, Nguyen A, Martinez-Diaz G, Inwards-Breland D, et al. Dermatologic care of sexual and gender minority/LGBTQIA youth, Part 2: Recognition and management of the unique dermatologic needs of SGM adolescents. Pediatric dermatology. 2019.||Not gender dysphoria specifically|
|Lamm B, Gernhardt A, Rübeling H. How Societal Changes Have Influenced German Children's Gender Representations as Expressed in Human Figure Drawings in 1977 and 2015. Sex Roles. 2019;81(1/2):118-25.||Scientific method|
|Landén M, Bodlund O, Ekselius L, Hambert G, Lundström B. Done is done - and gone is gone; sex change presently the best remedy for transsexuals. Lakartidningen. 2001;98(30-31):3322-6.||Review|
|Levy JA, Edwards DC, Cutruzzula-Dreher P, McGreen BH, Akanda S, Tarry S, et al. Male-to-Female Gender Reassignment Surgery: An Institutional Analysis of Outcomes, Short-term Complications, and Risk Factors for 240 Patients Undergoing Penile-Inversion Vaginoplasty. Urology. 2019;131:228-33.||Surgery. method, age|
|Lundgren KC, Koudstaal MJ. Midfacial Bony Remodeling. Facial plastic surgery clinics of North America. 2019;27(2):221-6.||Surgery, method|
|Mahfouda S, Moore JK, Siafarikas A, Hewitt T, Ganti U, Lin A, et al. Gender-affirming hormones and surgery in transgender children and adolescents. The lancet Diabetes & endocrinology. 2019;7(6):484-98.||Review|
|Marchand JB, Pelladeau E, Pommier F. Transsexualism/transgenderism: Psychotherapy and sex/gender reassignment therapy. Annales Medico-Psychologiques. 2017;175(3):210-6.||Language|
|Mattawanon N, Spencer JB, Schirmer DA, 3rd, Tangpricha V. Fertility preservation options in transgender people: A review. Reviews in endocrine & metabolic disorders. 2018;19(3):231-42.||Ethics|
|McDonald K. Social support and mental health in LGBTQ adolescents: A review of the literature. Issues in Mental Health Nursing. 2018;39(1):16-29.||Review|
|McEvenue G, Xu FZ, Cai R, McLean H. Female-to-Male Gender Affirming Top Surgery: A Single Surgeon's 15-Year Retrospective Review and Treatment Algorithm. Aesthetic surgery journal. 2017;38(1):49-57.||Surgery, method|
|McQueen P. Authenticity, intersubjectivity and the ethics of changing sex. Journal of Gender Studies. 2016;25(5):557-70.||Ethics|
|McQueen P. The Role of Regret in Medical Decision-making. Ethical Theory Moral Pract. 2017;20(5):1051-65.||Ethics|
|Meerwijk EL, Sevelius JM. Transgender Population Size in the United States: a Meta-Regression of Population-Based Probability Samples. American Journal of Public Health. 2017;107(2):e1-e8.||Review|
|Meister J, Kuhn H, Shehata-Dieler W, Hagen R, Kleinsasser N. Perceptual analysis of the male-to-female transgender voice after glottoplasty-the telephone test. Laryngoscope. 2017;127(4):875-81.||Surgery|
|Meriggiola MC, Gava G. Endocrine care of transpeople part II. A review of cross-sex hormonal treatments, outcomes and adverse effects in transwomen. Clinical endocrinology. 2015;83(5):607-15.||Review|
|Miller TJ, Wilson SC, Massie JP, Morrison SD, Satterwhite T. Breast augmentation in male-to-female transgender patients: Technical considerations and outcomes. JPRAS Open. 2019;21:63-74.||Surgery, method|
|Milrod C, Karasic DH. Age Is Just a Number: WPATH-Affiliated Surgeons' Experiences and Attitudes Toward Vaginoplasty in Transgender Females Under 18 Years of Age in the United States. The journal of sexual medicine. 2017;14(4):624-34.||Ethics|
|Milrod C. How young is too young: Ethical concerns in genital surgery of the transgender MTF adolescent. Journal of Sexual Medicine. 2014;11(2):338-46.||Ethics|
|Moravek MB. Fertility preservation options for transgender and gender-nonconforming individuals. Current opinion in obstetrics & gynecology. 2019;31(3):170-6.||Fertility|
|Morrison SD, Satterwhite T. Lower Jaw Recontouring in Facial Gender-Affirming Surgery. Facial Plastic Surgery Clinics of North America. 2019;27(2):233-42.||Surgery, method|
|Nahata L, Tishelman AC, Caltabellotta NM, Quinn GP. Low Fertility Preservation Utilization Among Transgender Youth. The Journal of adolescent health: official publication of the Society for Adolescent Medicine. 2017;61(1):40-4.||Fertility|
|Neblett MF, 2nd, Hipp HS. Fertility Considerations in Transgender Persons. Endocrinology and metabolism clinics of North America. 2019;48(2):391-402.||Fertility|
|Neuville P, Morel-Journel N, Maucourt-Boulch D, Ruffion A, Paparel P, Terrier JE. Surgical Outcomes of Erectile Implants After Phalloplasty: Retrospective Analysis of 95 Procedures. Journal of Sexual Medicine. 2016;13(11):1758-64.||Surgery, method|
|Nikolic D, Granic M, Ivanovic N, Zdravkovic D, Nikolic A, Stanimirovic V, et al. Breast cancer and its impact in male transsexuals. Breast cancer research and treatment. 2018;171(3):565-9.||Review|
|Nolan IT, Morrison SD, Arowojolu O, Crowe CS, Massie JP, Adler RK, et al. The Role of Voice Therapy and Phonosurgery in Transgender Vocal Feminization. The Journal of craniofacial surgery. 2019;30(5):1368-75.||Age|
|Nota NM, Dekker MJHJ, Klaver M, Wiepjes CM, van Trotsenburg MA, Heijboer AC, et al. Prolactin levels during short- and long-term cross-sex hormone treatment: an observational study in transgender persons. Andrologia. 2017;49(6).||Metabolism|
|Notini L, McDougall R, Pang KC. Should Parental Refusal of Puberty-Blocking Treatment be Overridden? The Role of the Harm Principle. American Journal of Bioethics. 2019;19(2):69-72.||Ethics|
|Nygren U, Nordenskjöld A, Arver S, Södersten M. Effects on Voice Fundamental Frequency and Satisfaction with Voice in Trans Men during Testosterone Treatment—A Longitudinal Study. Journal of Voice. 2016;30(6):766.e23-.e34.||Treatment outcome, age|
|Olson KR. Prepubescent transgender children: What we do and do not know. Journal of the American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry. 2016;55(3):155-6.||Review|
|Olsson SE, Möller A. Regret after sex reassignment surgery in a male-to-female transsexual: A long-term follow-up. Archives of Sexual Behavior. 2006;35(4):501-6.||Case description|
|Özkan O, Ozkan O, Cinpolat A, Dogan NU, Bektas G, Dolay K, et al. Vaginal reconstruction with the modified rectosigmoid colon: surgical technique, long-term results and sexual outcomes. Journal of plastic surgery and hand surgery. 2018;52(4):210-6.||Surgery, method|
|Papadopulos NA, Lelle JD, Zavlin D, Herschbach P, Henrich G, Kovacs L, et al. Quality of Life and Patient Satisfaction Following Male-to-Female Sex Reassignment Surgery. The journal of sexual medicine. 2017;14(5):721-30.||Surgery, method|
|Papadopulos NA, Zavlin D, Lelle JD, Herschbach P, Henrich G, Kovacs L, et al. Combined vaginoplasty technique for male-to-female sex reassignment surgery: Operative approach and outcomes. Journal of plastic, reconstructive & aesthetic surgery : JPRAS. 2017;70(10):1483-92.||Surgery, method|
|Pariser JJ, Kim N. Transgender vaginoplasty: Techniques and outcomes. Translational andrology and urology. 2019;8(3):241-7.||Surgery, method|
|Peitzmeier S, Gardner I, Weinand J, Corbet A, Acevedo K. Health impact of chest binding among transgender adults: a community-engaged, cross-sectional study. Cult Health Sexual. 2017;19(1):64-75.||Age|
|Perry DG, Pauletti RE, Cooper PJ. Gender identity in childhood: A review of the literature. International Journal of Behavioral Development. 2019;43(4):289-304||Review|
|Postuvan V, Podlogar T, Zadravec Sedivy N, De Leo D. Suicidal behaviour among sexual-minority youth: a review of the role of acceptance and support. The Lancet Child & adolescent health. 2019;3(3):190-8.||Review|
|Poudrier G, Nolan IT, Cook TE, Saia W, Motosko CC, Stranix JT, et al. Assessing Quality of Life and Patient-Reported Satisfaction with Masculinizing Top Surgery: A Mixed-Methods Descriptive Survey Study. Plastic and reconstructive surgery. 2019;143(1):272-9.||Age|
|Priest M. Transgender Children and the Right to Transition: Medical Ethics When Parents Mean Well but Cause Harm. The American journal of bioethics: AJOB. 2019;19(2):45-59.||Ethics|
|Priest MM. Response to Commentaries on "Transgender Children and the Right to Transition". American Journal of Bioethics. 2019;19(6):W10-W5.||Ethics|
|Proulx CN, Coulter RWS, Egan JE, Matthews DD, Mair C. Associations of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and questioning–inclusive sex education with mental health outcomes and school-based victimization in US high school students. Journal of Adolescent Health. 2019;64(5):608-14.||Not only gender dysphoria.|
|Puckett JA, Matsuno E, Dyar C, Mustanski B, Newcomb ME. Mental health and resilience in transgender individuals: What type of support makes a difference? Journal of Family Psychology. 2019.||Age, 16-73 yrs, adolescents cannot be distinguished|
|Puszczyk M, Czajeczny D. Gender dysphoria and gender variance in children – Diagnostic and therapeutic controversies. Archives of Psychiatry and Psychotherapy. 2017;19(3):34-42.||Review|
|Radix A, Davis AM. Endocrine Treatment of Gender-Dysphoric/Gender-Incongruent Persons. JAMA: Journal of the American Medical Association. 2017;318(15):1491-2.||Synopsis|
|Raigosa M, Avvedimento S, Yoon TS, Cruz‐Gimeno J, Rodriguez G, Fontdevila J. Male‐to‐female genital reassignment surgery: A retrospective review of surgical technique and complications in 60 patients. Journal of Sexual Medicine. 2015;12(8):1837-45.||Surgery, method|
|Reisner SL, Hughto JMW. Comparing the health of non-binary and binary transgender adults in a statewide non-probability sample. PLoS One. 2019;14(8):e0221583.||Age, short-term follow-up|
|Remington AC, Morrison SD, Massie JP, Crowe CS, Shakir A, Wilson SC, et al. Outcomes after Phalloplasty: Do Transgender Patients and Multiple Urethral Procedures Carry a Higher Rate of Complication? Plastic and reconstructive surgery. 2018;141(2):220e-9e.||Surgery, method|
|Rider GN, McMorris BJ, Gower AL, Coleman E, Eisenberg ME. Gambling Behaviors and Problem Gambling: A Population-Based Comparison of Transgender/Gender Diverse and Cisgender Adolescents. Journal of gambling studies. 2019;35(1):79-92||Gambling|
|Rosenthal SM. Approach to the patient: transgender youth: endocrine considerations. The Journal of clinical endocrinology and metabolism. 2014;99(12):4379-89||Cases, review|
|Rothman MS, Iwamoto SJ. Bone Health in the Transgender Population. Clinical reviews in bone and mineral metabolism. 2019;17(2):77-85.||Review|
|Rowlands S, Amy JJ. Preserving the reproductive potential of transgender and intersex people. The European journal of contraception & reproductive health care : the official journal of the European Society of Contraception. 2018;23(1):58-63.||Fertility|
|Sanchez Lorenzo I, Mora Mesa JJ, Oviedo de Lucas O. Psychomedical care in gender identity dysphoria during adolescence. Revista de psiquiatria y salud mental. 2017;10(2):96-103.||Language|
|Schwarz K, Fontanari AMV, Schneider MA, Borba Soll BM, da Silva DC, Spritzer PM, et al. Laryngeal surgical treatment in transgender women: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Laryngoscope. 2017;127(11):2596-603.||Systematic review, age adolescents cannot be distinguished.|
|Seal LJ. A review of the physical and metabolic effects of cross-sex hormonal therapy in the treatment of gender dysphoria. Annals of clinical biochemistry. 2016;53(Pt 1):10-20.||Review|
|Seyed-Forootan K, Karimi H, Seyed-Forootan NS. Autologous Fibroblast-Seeded Amnion for Reconstruction of Neo-vagina in Male-to-Female Reassignment Surgery. Aesthetic plastic surgery. 2018;42(2):491-7.||Surgery, experimental|
|Shatzel JJ, Connelly KJ, DeLoughery TG. Thrombotic issues in transgender medicine: A review. American journal of hematology. 2017;92(2):204-8.||Systematic review, overlap with ref 82 (later) in the report|
|Sherer I. Social transition: Supporting our youngest transgender children. Pediatrics. 2016;137(3):1-2.||Commentary|
|Shulman GP, Holt NR, Hope DA, Eyer J, Mocarski R, Woodruff N. A review of contemporary assessment tools for use with transgender and gender nonconforming adults. Psychology of Sexual Orientation and Gender Diversity. 2017;4(3):304-13.||Review|
|Sigurjonsson H, Rinder J, Möllermark C, Farnebo F, Lundgren TK. Male to female gender reassignment surgery: Surgical outcomes of consecutive patients during 14 years. JPRAS Open. 2015;6:69-73.||Surgery, method|
|Slater MW, Vinaja X, Aly I, Loukas M, Terrell M, Schober J. Neovaginal Construction with Pelvic Peritoneum: Reviewing an Old Approach for a New Application. Clinical anatomy (New York, NY). 2018;31(2):175-80.||Surgery, method|
|Smith KP, Madison CM, Milne NM. Gonadal suppressive and cross-sex hormone therapy for gender dysphoria in adolescents and adults. Pharmacotherapy. 2014;34(12):1282-97.||Review|
|Song TE, Jiang N. Transgender Phonosurgery: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis. Otolaryngology--head and neck surgery: official journal of American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery. 2017;156(5):803-8.||Surgery, method, age|
|Spivey LA, Edwards-Leeper L. Future Directions in Affirmative Psychological Interventions with Transgender Children and Adolescents. Journal of clinical child and adolescent psychology: the official journal for the Society of Clinical Child and Adolescent Psychology, American Psychological Association, Division 53. 2019;48(2):343-56.||Review/editorial|
|Stanfors M, Goldscheider F. The forest and the trees: Industrialization, demographic change, and the ongoing gender revolution in Sweden and the United States, 1870-2010. Demographic Research. 2017;36:173-226.||Review|
|Stevenson MO, Tangpricha V. Osteoporosis and Bone Health in Transgender Persons. Endocrinology and metabolism clinics of North America. 2019;48(2):421-7.||Review|
|Streed CG, Harfouch O, Marvel F, Blumenthal RS, Martin SS, Mukherjee M. Cardiovascular disease among transgender adults receiving hormone therapy: A narrative review. Annals of Internal Medicine. 2017;167(4):256-67.||Systematic review, overlap with ref 80 and 81 in the report|
|Sutcliffe PA, Dixon S, Akehurst RL, Wilkinson A, Shippam A, White S, et al. Evaluation of surgical procedures for sex reassignment: a systematic review. J Plast Reconstr Aesthetic Surg. 2009;62(3):294-306.||Surgery, method|
|Syed IA, Afridi MI, Dars JA. An artistic inquiry into gender identity disorder/ gender dysphoria: A silent distress. Asian journal of psychiatry. 2019;44:86-9.||Method|
|Tebbens M, Nota NM, Liberton NPTJ, Meijer BA, Kreukels BPC, Forouzanfar T, et al. Gender-affirming hormone treatment induces facial feminization in transwomen and masculinization in transmen: Quantification by 3D scanning and patient-reported outcome measures. Journal of Sexual Medicine. 2019;16(5):746-54.||Treatment effect|
|Tellier P-P, Wren B. Ethical issues arising in the provision of medical interventions for gender diverse children and adolescents. Clinical Child Psychology & Psychiatry. 2019;24(2):203-22.||Ethics|
|Tellier P-P, Wren B. Reflections on 'Thinking an Ethics of Gender Exploration: Against Delaying Transition for Transgender and Gender Variant Youth'. Clinical Child Psychology & Psychiatry. 2019;24(2):237-40.||Ethics|
|Terrier JE, Courtois F, Ruffion A, Morel Journel N. Surgical outcomes and patients' satisfaction with suprapubic phalloplasty. The journal of sexual medicine. 2014;11(1):288-98.||Surgery, method|
|Thijs P, Te Grotenhuis M, Scheepers P. The relationship between societal change and rising support for gender egalitarianism among men and women: Results from counterfactual analyses in the Netherlands, 1979–2012. Social Science Research. 2017;68:176-94.||Review|
|Thomas TN, Unger CA. Vaginoplasty for the Transgender Woman. Current Obstetrics and Gynecology Reports. 2017;6(2):133-9.||Surgery, method|
|Top H, Balta S. Transsexual Mastectomy: Selection of Appropriate Technique According to Breast Characteristics. Balkan medical journal. 2017;34(2):147-55.||Surgery, method|
|Traish AM, Gooren LJ. Safety of physiological testosterone therapy in women: lessons from female-to-male transsexuals (FMT) treated with pharmacological testosterone therapy. The journal of sexual medicine. 2010;7(11):3758-64.||Review|
|T'Sjoen G, Arcelus J, Gooren L, Klink DT, Tangpricha V. Endocrinology of Transgender Medicine. Endocrine reviews. 2019;40(1):97-117.||Review|
|T'Sjoen G, Van Caenegem E, Wierckx K. Transgenderism and reproduction. Current opinion in endocrinology, diabetes, and obesity. 2013;20(6):575-9.||Review|
|Twist J, de Graaf NM, Tellier P-P. Gender diversity and non-binary presentations in young people attending the United Kingdom's National Gender Identity Development Service. Clinical Child Psychology & Psychiatry. 2019;24(2):277-90.||Inventory of gender identity|
|Walls NE, Atteberry-Ash B, Kattari SK, Peitzmeier S, Kattari L, Langenderfer-Magruder L. Gender Identity, Sexual Orientation, Mental Health, and Bullying as Predictors of Partner Violence in a Representative Sample of Youth. The Journal of adolescent health: official publication of the Society for Adolescent Medicine. 2019;64(1):86-92||Short-term, bullying|
|Van Boerum MS, Salibian AA, Bluebond-Langner R, Agarwal C. Chest and facial surgery for the transgender patient. Translational andrology and urology. 2019;8(3):219-27.||Surgery, method|
|Van Caenegem E, Wierckx K, Taes Y, Dedecker D, Van de Peer F, Toye K, et al. Bone mass, bone geometry, and body composition in female-to-male transsexual persons after long-term cross-sex hormonal therapy. The Journal of clinical endocrinology and metabolism. 2012;97(7):2503-11.||Include in ref 86 in the report|
|Van Caenegem E, Wierckx K, Taes Y, Schreiner T, Vandewalle S, Toye K, et al. Preservation of volumetric bone density and geometry in trans women during cross-sex hormonal therapy: a prospective observational study. Osteoporosis international: a journal established as result of cooperation between the European Foundation for Osteoporosis and the National Osteoporosis Foundation of the USA. 2015;26(1):35-47.||Included in ref 85 in the report|
|Van Damme S, Cosyns M, Deman S, Van den Eede Z, Van Borsel J. The Effectiveness of Pitch-raising Surgery in Male-to-Female Transsexuals: A Systematic Review. Journal of voice: official journal of the Voice Foundation. 2017;31(2):244.e1-.e5.||Systematic review, surgery, method age,|
|van de Grift TC, Pigot GLS, Boudhan S, Elfering L, Kreukels BPC, Gijs L, et al. A Longitudinal Study of Motivations Before and Psychosexual Outcomes After Genital Gender-Confirming Surgery in Transmen. The journal of sexual medicine. 2017;14(12):1621-8.||Surgery, motivation|
|van der Sluis WB, Bouman MB, de Boer NKH, Buncamper ME, van Bodegraven AA, Neefjes-Borst EA, et al. Long-Term Follow-Up of Transgender Women After Secondary Intestinal Vaginoplasty. Journal of Sexual Medicine. 2016;13(4):702-10.||Surgery, method|
|van der Sluis WB, Pavan N, Liguori G, Bucci S, Bizic MR, Kojovic V, et al. Ileal vaginoplasty as vaginal reconstruction in transgender women and patients with disorders of sex development: an international, multicentre, retrospective study on surgical characteristics and outcomes. BJU international. 2018;121(6):952-8.||Surgery, method|
|van der Sluis WB, Smit JM, Pigot GLS, Buncamper ME, Winters HAH, Mullender MG, et al. Double flap phalloplasty in transgender men: Surgical technique and outcome of pedicled anterolateral thigh flap phalloplasty combined with radial forearm free flap urethral reconstruction. Microsurgery. 2017;37(8):917-23.||Surgery, method|
|Vaughan SC. Suicidality in LGBTQ+ Youth. Psychoanal Study Child. 2018;71(1):40-54||Review|
|Vrouenraets LJ, Fredriks AM, Hannema SE, Cohen-Kettenis PT, de Vries MC. Early Medical Treatment of Children and Adolescents With Gender Dysphoria: An Empirical Ethical Study. The Journal of adolescent health: official publication of the Society for Adolescent Medicine. 2015;57(4):367-73.||Ethics|
|Weigert R, Frison E, Sessiecq Q, Al Mutairi K, Casoli V. Patient satisfaction with breasts and psychosocial, sexual, and physical well-being after breast augmentation in male-to-female transsexuals. Plastic and reconstructive surgery. 2013;132(6):1421-9.||Age|
|Wiepjes CM, Vlot MC, Klaver M, Nota NM, de Blok CJM, de Jongh RT, et al. Bone Mineral Density Increases in Trans Persons After 1 Year of Hormonal Treatment: A Multicenter Prospective Observational Study. J Bone Miner Res. 2017;32(6):1252-60.||Short-term follow-up|
|Wierckx K, Elaut E, Declercq E, Heylens G, De Cuypere G, Taes Y, et al. Prevalence of cardiovascular disease and cancer during cross-sex hormone therapy in a large cohort of trans persons: a case-control study. European journal of endocrinology. 2013;169(4):471-8.||Included in ref 77 in the report|
|Wilson SC, Morrison SD, Anzai L, Massie JP, Poudrier G, Motosko CC, et al. Masculinizing Top Surgery: A Systematic Review of Techniques and Outcomes. Annals of plastic surgery. 2018;80(6):679-83.||Surgery, method|
|Wirthmann AE, Majenka P, Kaufmann MC, Wellenbrock SV, Kasper L, Hüttinger S, et al. Phalloplasty in Female-to-Male Transsexuals by Gottlieb and Levine's Free Radial Forearm Flap Technique--A Long-Term Single-Center Experience over More than Two Decades. J Reconstr Microsurg. 2018;34(4):235-41.||Surgery, method|
|Witcomb GL, Claes L, Bouman WP, Nixon E, Motmans J, Arcelus J. Experiences and Psychological Wellbeing Outcomes Associated with Bullying in Treatment-Seeking Transgender and Gender-Diverse Youth. LGBT Health. 2019;6(5):216-26||Short-term, bullying|
|Wolter A, Scholz T, Pluto N, Diedrichson J, Arens-Landwehr A, Liebau J. Subcutaneous mastectomy in female-to-male transsexuals: Optimizing perioperative and operative management in 8 years clinical experience. Journal of plastic, reconstructive & aesthetic surgery: JPRAS. 2018;71(3):344-52.||Surgery, method|
|Wood H, Sasaki S, Bradley S, Singh D, Fantus S, Owen-Anderson A, et al. Patterns of Referral to a Gender Identity Service for Children and Adolescents (1976–2011): Age, Sex Ratio, and Sexual Orientation. Journal of Sex & Marital Therapy. 2013;39(1):1-6.||Letter|
|Wright T, Candy B, King M. Conversion therapies and access to transition-related healthcare in transgender people: a narrative systematic review. BMJ Open. 2018;8(12):e022425.||Review|
|Yilmaz T, Kuscu O, Sozen T, Suslu AE. Anterior Glottic Web Formation for Voice Feminization: Experience of 27 Patients. Journal of voice : official journal of the Voice Foundation. 2017;31(6):757-62.||Surgery, method|
|Zaheer U, Granger A, Ortiz A, Terrell M, Loukas M, Schober J. The anatomy of free fibula osteoseptocutaneous flap in neophalloplasty in transgender surgery. Clinical anatomy (New York, NY). 2018;31(2):169-74.||Surgery, method|
|Zavlin D, Schaff J, Lellé JD, Jubbal KT, Herschbach P, Henrich G, et al. Male-to-Female Sex Reassignment Surgery using the Combined Vaginoplasty Technique: Satisfaction of Transgender Patients with Aesthetic, Functional, and Sexual Outcomes. Aesthet Plast Surg. 2018;42(1):178-87.||Surgery, method|
|Zeluf G, Dhejne C, Orre C, Mannheimer LN, Deogan C, Hoijer J, et al. Erratum to: Health, disability and quality of life among trans people in Sweden-a web-based survey. BMC Public Health. 2016;16(1):1085.||Erratum|
|Zeluf G, Dhejne C, Orre C, Mannheimer LN, Deogan C, Höijer J, et al. Health, disability and quality of life among trans people in Sweden-a web-based survey. BMC Public Health. 2016;16(1):1-15.||Not only gender dysphoria.|
|Zhang YF, Liu CY, Qu CY, Lu LX, Liu AT, Zhu L, et al. Is vaginal mucosal graft the excellent substitute material for urethral reconstruction in female-to-male transsexuals? World J Urol. 2015;33(12):2115-23.||Surgery, method|
|Zimlich R. LGBT teens and suicide risk: How you can help. Contemporary Pediatrics. 2019;36(3):34-5||Review|
|Zucker KJ. Adolescents with Gender Dysphoria: Reflections on Some Contemporary Clinical and Research Issues. Archives of sexual behavior. 2019||Review|
- Socialstyrelsen. Internationell statistisk klassifikation av sjukdomar och relaterade hälsoproblem. Systematisk förteckning. Svensk version 2019.https://www.socialstyrelsen.se/globalassets/sharepoint-dokument/artikelkatalog/klassifikationer-och-koder/2019-1-12.pdf.
- Landén M. [Dramatic increase in adolescent gender dysphoria requires careful consideration]. Läkartidningen 2019;116:FSMH.
- Moher D, Shamseer L, Clarke M, Ghersi D, Liberati A, Petticrew M, et al. Preferred reporting items for systematic review and meta-analysis protocols (PRISMA-P) 2015 statement. Syst Rev. 2015;4:1.
- Socialstyrelsen. God vård av barn och ungdomar med könsdysfori. Nationellt kunskapsstöd. (https://www.socialstyrelsen.se/globalassets/sharepoint-dokument/artikelkatalog/kunskapsstod/2015-4-6.pdf).
- Åhs JW, Dhejne C, Magnusson C, Dal H, Lundin A, Arver S, et al. Proportion of adults in the general population of Stockholm County who want gender-affirming medical treatment. PLoS One 2018;13:e0204606.
- Judge C, O'Donovan C, Callaghan G, Gaoatswe G, O'Shea D. Gender dysphoria - prevalence and co-morbidities in an irish adult population. Front Endocrinol (Lausanne) 2014;5:87.
- Kuyper L, Wijsen C. Gender identities and gender dysphoria in the Netherlands. Arch Sex Behav 2014;43:377-85.
- Sumia M, Lindberg N, Työläjärvi M, Kaltiala-Heino R. Current and recalled childhood gender identity in community youth in comparison to referred adolescents seeking sex reassignment. J Adolesc 2017;56:34-9.
- Kaltiala-Heino R, Työläjärvi M, Lindberg N. Gender dysphoria in adolescent population: A 5-year replication study. Clin Child Psychol Psychiatry 2019;24:379-87.
- Kaltiala-Heino R, Lindberg N. Gender identities in adolescent population: Methodological issues and prevalence across age groups. Eur Psychiatry 2019;55:61-6.
- Drummond KD, Bradley SJ, Peterson-Badali M, Zucker KJ. A follow-up study of girls with gender identity disorder. Dev Psychol 2008;44:34-45.
- Wallien MS, Cohen-Kettenis PT. Psychosexual outcome of gender-dysphoric children. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 2008;47:1413-23.
- Steensma TD, McGuire JK, Kreukels BP, Beekman AJ, Cohen-Kettenis PT. Factors associated with desistence and persistence of childhood gender dysphoria: a quantitative follow-up study. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 2013;52:582-90.
- Strang JF, Powers MD, Knauss M, Sibarium E, Leibowitz SF, Kenworthy L, et al. "They thought it was an obsession": Trajectories and perspectives of autistic transgender and gender-diverse Aadolescents. J Autism Dev Disord 2018;48:4039-55.
- Arnoldussen M, Steensma TD, Popma A, van der Miesen AIR, Twisk JWR, de Vries ALC. Re-evaluation of the Dutch approach: are recently referred transgender youth different compared to earlier referrals? Eur Child Adolesc Psychiatry 2019. doi: 10.1007/s00787-019-01394-6 (Epub ahead of print).
- Chen M, Fuqua J, Eugster EA. Characteristics of referrals for gender dysphoria over a 13-year period. J Adolesc Health 2016;58:369-71.
- Chiniara LN, Bonifacio HJ, Palmert MR. Characteristics of adolescents referred to a gender clinic: Are youth seen now different from those in initial reports? Horm Res Paediatr 2018;89:434-41.
- de Graaf NM, Giovanardi G, Zitz C, Carmichael P. Sex ratio in children and adolescents referred to the Gender Identity Development Service in the UK (2009–2016). Arch Sex Behav 2018;47:1301-4.
- Kaltiala-Heino R, Bergman H, Carmichael P, de Graaf NM, Egebjerg Rischel K, Frisén L, et al. Time trends in referrals to child adolescent gender identity services: a study in four Nordic countries and in the UK. Nord J Psychiatry 2019;26:1-6 (Epub ahead of print).
- Kaltiala-Heino R, Sumia M, Työläjärvi M, Lindberg N. Two years of gender identity service for minors: overrepresentation of natal girls with severe problems in adolescent development. Child Adolesc Psychiatry Ment Health 2015;9:9.
- de Graaf NM, Carmichael P, Steensma TD, Zucker KJ. Evidence for a change in the sex ratio of children referred for gender dysphoria: Data from the Gender Identity Development Service in London (2000–2017). J Sex Med 2018;15:1381-3.
- Becker-Hebly I, Gjergji V, Romer G, Möller B. Merkmale von kindern und jugendlichen mit geschlechtsdysphorie in der Hamburger Spezialsprechstunde [Characteristics of children and adolescents with gender dysphoria referred to the Hamburg Gender Identity Clinic]. Praxis der Kinderpsychologie und Kinderpsychiatrie 2014;63:486-509.
- Littman L. Rapid-onset gender dysphoria in adolescents and young adults: A study of parental reports. PLoS One 2018;13(8).
- Littman L. Correction: Parent reports of adolescents and young adults perceived to show signs of a rapid onset of gender dysphoria. PLoS One 2019;14(3):e0214157.
- Landén M, Innala S. Attitudes toward transsexualism in a Swedish national survey. Arch Sex Behav 2000;29:375-88.
- IPSOS. Global attitudes towards transgender people, 2018. https://www.ipsos.com/sites/default/files/ct/news/documents/2018-01/ipsos_report-transgender_global_data-2018.pdf
- Hisle-Gorman E, Landis CA, Susi A, Schvey NA, Gorman GH, Nylund CM, et al. Gender dysphoria in children with autism spectrum disorder. LGBT Health 2019;6:95-100.
- Nabbijohn AN, van der Miesen AIR, Santarossa A, Peragine D, de Vries ALC, Popma A, et al. Gender variance and the autism spectrum: An examination of children ages 6-12 years. J Autism Dev Disord 2019;49:1570-85.
- Becerra-Culqui TA, Liu Y, Nash R, Cromwell L, Flanders WD, Getahun D, et al. Mental health of transgender and gender nonconforming youth compared with their peers. Pediatrics 2018;141. pii: e20173845. doi: 10.1542/peds.2017-3845.
- Mann GE, Taylor A, Wren B, de Graaf N. Review of the literature on self-injurious thoughts and behaviours in gender-diverse children and young people in the United Kingdom. Clin Child Psychol Psychiatry 2019;24:304-21.
- Nordahl-Hansen A, Cicchetti DV, Øien RA. A review update on gender dysphoria and ASD and response to corrections. J Autism Dev Disord 2019;49:1745-8.
- Øien RA, Cicchetti DV, Nordahl-Hansen A. Gender dysphoria, sexuality and autism spectrum disorders: A systematic map review. J Autism Dev Disord 2018;48:4028-37.
- Kuper LE, Mathews S, Lau M. Baseline mental health and psychosocial functioning of transgender adolescents seeking gender-affirming hormone therapy. J Dev Behav Pediatr 2019;40:589-96.
- van der Miesen AIR, Hurley H, Bal AM, de Vries ALC. Prevalence of the wish to be of the opposite gender in adolescents and adults with autism spectrum disorder. Arch Sex Behav 2018;47:2307-17.
- Turban JL, van Schalkwyk GI. 'Gender dysphoria' and autism spectrum disorder: Is the link real? J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 2018;57:8-9.
- Wiepjes CM, Nota NM, de Blok CJM, Klaver M, de Vries ALC, Wensing-Kruger SA, et al. The Amsterdam cohort of gender dysphoria study (1972-2015): Trends in prevalence, treatment, and regrets. J Sex Med 2018;15:582-90.
- Bränström R, Pachankis JE. Reduction in mental health treatment utilization among transgender individuals after gender-affirming surgeries: A total population study. Am J Psychiatry 2019: https://doi.org/10.1176/appi.ajp.2019.19010080.
- Connolly MD, Zervos MJ, Barone CJ, 2nd, Johnson CC, Joseph CL. The mental health of transgender youth: Advances in understanding. J Adolesc Health 2016;59:489-95.
- Costa R, Colizzi M. The effect of cross-sex hormonal treatment on gender dysphoria individuals' mental health: a systematic review. Neuropsychiatr Dis Treat 2016;12:1953-66.
- de Graaf NM, Manjra II, Hames A, Zitz C. Thinking about ethnicity and gender diversity in children and young people. Clin Child Psychol Psychiatry. 2019;24:291-303.
- Zucker KJ. Epidemiology of gender dysphoria and transgender identity. Sex Health. 2017;14:404-11.
- Dhejne C, Öberg K, Arver S, Landén M. An analysis of all applications for sex reassignment surgery in Sweden, 1960-2010: prevalence, incidence, and regrets. Arch Sex Behav 2014;43:1535-45.
- Landén M, Wålinder J, Hambert G, Lundström B. Factors predictive of regret in sex reassignment. Acta Psychiatr Scand 1998;97:284-9.
- Blanchard R, Steiner BW, Clemmensen LH, Dickey R. Prediction of regrets in postoperative transsexuals. Can J Psychiatry 1989;34:43-5.
- Imbimbo C, Verze P, Palmieri A, Longo N, Fusco F, Arcaniolo D, et al. A report from a single institute's 14-year experience in treatment of male-to-female transsexuals. J Sex Med 2009;6:2736-45.
- Johansson A, Sundbom E, Höjerback T, Bodlund O. A five-year follow-up study of Swedish adults with gender identity disorder. Arch Sex Behav 2010;39:1429-37.
- Lawrence AA. Factors associated with satisfaction or regret following male-to-female sex reassignment surgery. Arch Sex Behav 2003;32:299-315.
- Nelson L, Whallett EJ, McGregor JC. Transgender patient satisfaction following reduction mammaplasty. J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg 2009;62:331-4.
- Defreyne J, Motmans J, T’sjoen G. Healthcare costs and quality of life outcomes following gender affirming surgery in trans men: a review. Expert Rev Pharmacoecon Outcomes Res 2017;17:543-56.
- van de Grift TC, Elaut E, Cerwenka SC, Cohen-Kettenis PT, Kreukels BPC. Surgical satisfaction, Quality of life, and their association after gender-affirming surgery: A follow-up study. J Sex Marital Ther 2018;44:138-48.
- Wierckx K, Elaut E, Declercq E, Heylens G, De Cuypere G, Taes Y, et al. Prevalence of cardiovascular disease and cancer during cross-sex hormone therapy in a large cohort of trans persons: a case-control study. Eur J Endocrinol 2013;169:471-8.
- de Vries AL, McGuire JK, Steensma TD, Wagenaar EC, Doreleijers TA, Cohen-Kettenis PT. Young adult psychological outcome after puberty suppression and gender reassignment. Pediatrics 2014;134:696-704.
- Dhejne C, Van Vlerken R, Heylens G, Arcelus J. Mental health and gender dysphoria: A review of the literature. Int Rev Psychiatry 2016;28:44-57.
- Gómez-Gil E, Zubiaurre-Elorza L, Esteva I, Guillamon A, Godás T, Cruz Almaraz M, et al. Hormone-treated transsexuals report less social distress, anxiety and depression. Psychoneuroendocrinology 2012;37:662-70.
- Keo-Meier CL, Herman LI, Reisner SL, Pardo ST, Sharp C, Babcock JC. Testosterone treatment and MMPI-2 improvement in transgender men: a prospective controlled study. J Consult Clin Psychol 2015;83:143-56.
- Millet N, Longworth J, Arcelus J. Prevalence of anxiety symptoms and disorders in the transgender population: A systematic review of the literature. Int J Transgenderism 2017;18:27-38.
- Murad MH, Elamin MB, Garcia MZ, Mullan RJ, Murad A, Erwin PJ, et al. Hormonal therapy and sex reassignment: A systematic review and meta-analysis of quality of life and psychosocial outcomes. Clin Endocrinol 2010;72:214-31.
- Owen-Smith AA, Gerth J, Sineath RC, Barzilay J, Becerra-Culqui TA, Getahun D, et al. Association between gender confirmation treatments and perceived gender congruence, body image satisfaction, and mental health in a cohort of transgender individuals. J Sex Med 2018;15:591-600.
- Rowniak S, Bolt L, Sharifi C. The effect of cross-sex hormones on the quality of life, depression and anxiety of transgender individuals: a quantitative systematic review. JBI Database of System Rev Implement Rep 2019;17:1826-54.
- Tomita KK, Testa RJ, Balsam KF. Gender-affirming medical interventions and mental health in transgender adults. Psychology of Sexual Orientation and Gender Diversity 2019;6:182-93.
- Dhejne C, Lichtenstein P, Boman M, Johansson ALV, Långström N, Landén M. Long-term follow-up of transsexual persons undergoing sex reassignment surgery: Cohort study in Sweden. PLoS One. 2011;6(2):e16885. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0016885.
- Jellestad L, Jäggi T, Corbisiero S, Schaefer DJ, Jenewein J, Schneeberger A, et al. Quality of life in transitioned trans persons: A retrospective cross-sectional cohort study. BioMed Res Int 2018;2018:8684625.
- Lindqvist EK, Sigurjonsson H, Möllermark C, Rinder J, Farnebo F, Lundgren TK. Quality of life improves early after gender reassignment surgery in transgender women. Eur J Plast Surg 2017;40:223-6.
- Ruppin U, Pfäfflin F. Long-term follow-up of adults with gender identity disorder. Arch Sex Behav 2015;44:1321-9.
- Simonsen RK, Giraldi A, Kristensen E, Hald GM. Long-term follow-up of individuals undergoing sex reassignment surgery: Psychiatric morbidity and mortality. Nord J Psychiatry 2016;70:241-7.
- Weinforth G, Fakin R, Giovanoli P, Garcia Nuñez D. Quality of life following male-to-female sex reassignment surgery. Dtsch Arztebl Int 2019;116:253-60.
- Wernick JA, Busa S, Matouk K, Nicholson J, Janssen A. A systematic review of the psychological benefits of gender-affirming surgery. Urol Clin North Am 2019;46:475-86.
- Weyers S, Elaut E, De Sutter P, Gerris J, T'Sjoen G, Heylens G, et al. Long-term assessment of the physical, mental, and sexual health among transsexual women. J Sex Med 2009;6:752-60.
- Özata Yildizhan B, Yüksel Ş, Avayu M, Noyan H, Yildizhan E. Effects of gender reassignment on quality of life and mental health in people with gender dysphoria. Türk Psikiyatri Derg 2018;29:1-10.
- Staphorsius AS, Kreukels BP, Cohen-Kettenis PT, Veltman DJ, Burke SM, Schagen SE, et al. Puberty suppression and executive functioning: An fMRI-study in adolescents with gender dysphoria. Psychoneuroendocrinology 2015;56:190-9.
- Schneider MA, Andreazza T, Fontanari AM, Costa AB, Silva DC, Aguiar BW, et al. Serum concentrations of brain-derived neurotrophic factor in patients diagnosed with gender dysphoria undergoing sex reassignment surgery. Trends Psychiatry Psychotheer 2017;39:43-7.
- Nguyen HB, Loughead J, Lipner E, Hantsoo L, Kornfield SL, Epperson CN. What has sex got to do with it? The role of hormones in the transgender brain. Neuropsychopharmacology 2019;44:22-37.
- Joint R, Chen ZE, Cameron S. Breast and reproductive cancers in the transgender population: a systematic review. BJOG. 2018;125:1505-12.
- McFarlane T, Zajac JD, Cheung AS. Gender-affirming hormone therapy and the risk of sex hormone-dependent tumours in transgender individuals - A systematic review. Clin Endocrinol 2018;89:700-11.
- de Blok CJM, Wiepjes CM, Nota NM, Van Engelen K, Adank MA, Dreijerink KMA, et al. Breast cancer risk in transgender people receiving hormone treatment: Nationwide cohort study in the Netherlands. BMJ 2019;365:l1652. doi: 10.1136/bmj.l1652.
- Nota NM, Wiepjes CM, de Blok CJM, Gooren LJG, Peerdeman SM, Kreukels BPC, et al. The occurrence of benign brain tumours in transgender individuals during cross-sex hormone treatment. Brain 2018;141:2047-54.
- Maraka S, Singh Ospina N, Rodriguez-Gutierrez R, Davidge-Pitts CJ, Nippoldt TB, Prokop LJ, et al. Sex steroids and cardiovascular outcomes in transgender individuals: A systematic review and meta-analysis. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2017;102:3914-23.
- van Velzen DM, Paldino A, Klaver M, Nota NM, Defreyne J, Hovingh GK, et al. Cardiometabolic effects of testosterone in transmen and estrogen plus cyproterone acetate in transwomen. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2019;104:1937-47.
- Getahun D, Nash R, Flanders WD, Baird TC, Becerra-Culqui TA, Cromwell L, et al. Cross-sex hormones and acute cardiovascular events in transgender persons: A Cohort Study. Ann Intern Med 2018;169:205-13.
- Dutra E, Lee J, Torbati T, Garcia M, Merz CNB, Shufelt C. Cardiovascular implications of gender-affirming hormone treatment in the transgender population. Maturitas 2019;129:45-9.
- Goldstein Z, Khan M, Reisman T, Safer JD. Managing the risk of venous thromboembolism in transgender adults undergoing hormone therapy. J Blood Med 2019;10:209-16.
- Khan J, Schmidt RL, Spittal MJ, Goldstein Z, Smock KJ, Greene DN. Venous thrombotic risk in transgender women undergoing estrogen therapy: A systematic review and metaanalysis. Clin Chem 2019;65:57-66.
- Joseph T, Ting J, Butler G. The effect of GnRH analogue treatment on bone mineral density in young adolescents with gender dysphoria: findings from a large national cohort. J Pediatr Endocrinol Metab 2019;32:1077-81.
- Klink D, Caris M, Heijboer A, van Trotsenburg M, Rotteveel J. Bone mass in young adulthood following gonadotropin-releasing hormone analog treatment and cross-sex hormone treatment in adolescents with gender dysphoria. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2015;100:E270-5.
- Singh-Ospina N, Maraka S, Rodriguez-Gutierrez R, Davidge-Pitts C, Nippoldt TB, Prokop LJ, et al. Effect of sex steroids on the bone health of transgender individuals: A systematic review and meta-analysis. J Clin Endocrinol Metabo 2017;102:3904-13.
- Fighera TM, Ziegelmann PK, Da Silva TR, Spritzer PM. Bone mass effects of cross-sex hormone therapy in transgender people: Updated systematic review and meta-analysis. J Endocr Soc 2019;3:943-64.
- Wiepjes CM, de Blok CJ, Staphorsius AS, Nota NM, Vlot MC, de Jongh RT, et al. Fracture risk in trans women and trans men using long-term gender-affirming hormonal treatment: a nationwide cohort study. J Bone Miner Res 2019 Sep 5. doi: 10.1002/jbmr.3862. [Epub ahead of print].
- Wiepjes CM, de Jongh RT, de Blok CJ, Vlot MC, Lips P, Twisk JW, et al. Bone safety during the first ten years of gender-affirming hormonal treatment in transwomen and transmen. J Bone Miner Res 2019;34:447-54.
- Wiepjes CM, Vlot MC, de Blok CJM, Nota NM, de Jongh RT, den Heijer M. Bone geometry and trabecular bone score in transgender people before and after short- and long-term hormonal treatment. Bone 2019;127:280-6.
- van Kesteren P, Lips P, Gooren LJ, Asscheman H, Megens J. Long-term follow-up of bone mineral density and bone metabolism in transsexuals treated with cross-sex hormones. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf). 1998;48(3):347-54.
- Alanko K, Lund H. Transgender youth and social support: A survey study on the effects of good relationships on well-being and mental health. Young 2019;1-8. https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/pdf/10.1177/1103308819850039
- Bebes A, Samarova V, Shilo G, Diamond GM. Parental acceptance, parental psychological control and psychological symptoms among sexual minority adolescents. J Child Fam Stud 2015;24:882-90.
- Costa R, Dunsford M, Skagerberg E, Holt V, Carmichael P, Colizzi M. Psychological support, puberty suppression, and psychosocial functioning in adolescents with gender dysphoria. J Sex Med 2015;12:2206-14.
- de Vries AL, Steensma TD, Cohen-Kettenis PT, VanderLaan DP, Zucker KJ. Poor peer relations predict parent- and self-reported behavioral and emotional problems of adolescents with gender dysphoria: a cross-national, cross-clinic comparative analysis. Eur Child Adolesc Psychiatry 2016;25:579-88.
- Johns MM, Beltran O, Armstrong HL, Jayne PE, Barrios LC. Protective factors among transgender and gender variant youth: A systematic review by socioecological level. J Prim Prev 2018;39:263-301.
- Levitan N, Barkmann C, Richter-Appelt H, Schulte-Markwort M, Becker-Hebly I. Risk factors for psychological functioning in German adolescents with gender dysphoria: poor peer relations and general family functioning. Eur Child Adolesc Psychiatry 2019;28:1487-98.
- Simons L, Schrager SM, Clark LF, Belzer M, Olson J. Parental support and mental health among transgender adolescents. J Adolesc Health 2013;53:791-3.
- Thorne N, Witcomb GL, Nieder T, Nixon E, Yip A, Arcelus J. A comparison of mental health symptomatology and levels of social support in young treatment seeking transgender individuals who identify as binary and non-binary. Int J Transgenderism 2019;20(2/3):241-50.
- Weinhardt LS, Xie H, Wesp LM, Murray JR, Apchemengich I, Kioko D, et al. The Role of Family, Friend, and Significant Other Support in Well-Being Among Transgender and Non-Binary Youth. J GLBT Fam Stud 2019;15:311-25.
- Wilson EC, Chen Y-H, Arayasirikul S, Raymond HF, McFarland W. The impact of discrimination on the mental health of transfemale youth and the protective effect of parental support. AIDS and Behavior 2016;20:2203-11.
- Yadegarfard M, Meinhold-Bergmann ME, Ho R. Family rejection, social isolation, and loneliness as predictors of negative health outcomes (depression, suicidal ideation, and sexual risk behavior) among Thai male-to-female transgender adolescents. Journal of LGBT Youth 2014;11:347-63.
- Grossman AH, Park JY, Russell ST. Transgender Youth and Suicidal Behaviors: Family rejection, social isolation, and loneliness as predictors of negative health outcomes (depression, suicidal ideation, and sexual risk behavior) among Thai male-to-female transgender adolescents. Journal of gay & lesbian mental health. 2016;20:329-49.
- Turban JL, King D, Reisner SL, Keuroghlian AS. Psychological attempts to change a person's gender identity from transgender to cisgender: Estimated prevalence across US States, 2015. Am J Public Health 2019;109:1452-4.
- Chew D, Anderson J, Williams K, May T, Pang K. Hormonal treatment in young people with gender dysphoria: A systematic review. Pediatrics 2018;141(4):1-18.
- Klaver M, de Mutsert R, Wiepjes CM, Twisk JWR, den Heijer M, Rotteveel J, et al. Early hormonal treatment affects body composition and body shape in young transgender adolescents. J Sex Med 2018;15:251-60.
- Kreukels BP, Cohen-Kettenis PT. Puberty suppression in gender identity disorder: the Amsterdam experience. Nat Rev Endocrinol 2011;7:466-72.
- Lynch MM, Khandheria MM, Meyer Iii WJ. Retrospective study of the management of childhood and adolescent gender identity disorder using medroxyprogesterone acetate. Int J Transgenderism 2015;16:201-8.
- Mahfouda S, Moore JK, Siafarikas A, Zepf FD, Lin A. Puberty suppression in transgender children and adolescents. Lancet Diabetes Endocrinol 2017;5:816-26.
- Martinerie L, Condat A, Bargiacchi A, Bremont-Weill C, de Vries MC, Hannema SE. MANAGEMENT OF ENDOCRINE DISEASE: Approach to the management of children and adolescents with Gender Dysphoria. Eur J Endocrinol 2018;179:R219-r37.
- Neyman A, Fuqua JS, Eugster EA. Bicalutamide as an androgen blocker with secondary effect of promoting feminization in male-to-female transgender adolescents. J Adolesc Health 2019;64:544-6.
- Schagen SE, Cohen-Kettenis PT, Delemarre-van de Waal HA, Hannema SE. Efficacy and safety of gonadotropin-releasing hormone agonist treatment to suppress puberty in gender dysphoric adolescents. J Sex Med 2016;13:1125-32.
- Schagen SEE, Lustenhouwer P, Cohen-Kettenis PT, Delemarre-van de Waal HA, Hannema SE. Changes in adrenal androgens during puberty suppression and gender-affirming hormone treatment in adolescents with gender dysphoria. J Sex Med 2018;15:1357-63.
- Stoffers IE, de Vries MC, Hannema SE. Physical changes, laboratory parameters, and bone mineral density during testosterone treatment in adolescents with gender dysphoria. J Sex Med 2019;16:1459-68.
- Tack LJW, Craen M, Lapauw B, Goemaere S, Toye K, Kaufman JM, et al. Proandrogenic and antiandrogenic progestins in transgender youth: Differential effects on body composition and bone metabolism. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2018;103:2147-56.
- Vlot MC, Klink DT, den Heijer M, Blankenstein MA, Rotteveel J, Heijboer AC. Effect of pubertal suppression and cross-sex hormone therapy on bone turnover markers and bone mineral apparent density (BMAD) in transgender adolescents. Bone 2017;95:11-9.
- Hahn A, Kranz GS, Sladky R, Kaufmann U, Ganger S, Hummer A, et al. Testosterone affects language areas of the adult human brain. Hum Brain Mapp 2016;37:1738-48.
- Sequeira GM, Kidd K, El Nokali NE, Rothenberger SD, Levine MD, Montano GT, et al. Early effects of testosterone initiation on body mass index in transmasculine adolescents. J Adolesc Health 2019;65:818-20.
- Marinkovic M, Newfield RS. Chest reconstructive surgeries in transmasculine youth: Experience from one pediatric center. Int J Transgenderism 2017;18:376-81.
- Olson-Kennedy J, Warus J, Okonta V, Belzer M, Clark LF. Chest reconstruction and chest dysphoria in transmasculine minors and young adults: Comparisons of nonsurgical and postsurgical cohorts. JAMA pediatrics 2018;172:431-6.
- Cohen-Kettenis PT, van Goozen SH. Sex reassignment of adolescent transsexuals: a follow-up study. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 1997;36:263-71.
- Smith YL, van Goozen SH, Cohen-Kettenis PT. Adolescents with gender identity disorder who were accepted or rejected for sex reassignment surgery: a prospective follow-up study. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 2001;40:472-81.
- Smith YL, Cohen L, Cohen-Kettenis PT. Postoperative psychological functioning of adolescent transsexuals: a Rorschach study. Arch Sex Behav 2002;31:255-61.
- Georgas K, Beckman U, Bryman I, Elander A, Jivegård L, Mattelin E, et al. Gender affirmation surgery for gender dysphoria - effects and risks. [Könskonfirmerande kirurgi vid könsdysfori - effekter och risker]. Göteborg: Västra Götalandsregionen, Sahlgrenska University Hospital, HTA-centrum: 2018. Regional activity based HTA 2018:102.