SBU Enquiry Service
Consists of structured literature searches to highlight studies that can address questions received by the SBU Enquiry Service from Swedish healthcare or social service providers. We assess the risk of bias in systematic reviews and when needed also quality and transferability of results in health economic studies. Relevant references are compiled by an SBU staff member, in consultation with an external expert when needed.
Which systematic reviews have evaluated the treatment of offenders of intimate partner violence?
- Gilchrist G, Munoz JT, Easton CJ. Should we reconsider anger management when addressing physical intimate partner violence perpetration by alcohol abusing males? A systematic review. Aggression and Violent Behavior 2015;25:124-132.
- Wilson IM, Graham K, Taft A. Alcohol interventions, alcohol policy and intimate partner violence: a systematic review. BMC Public Health 2014;14:881.
- Feder L, Wilson DB. A meta-analytic review of court-mandated batterer intervention programs: Can courts affect abusers' behavior? Journal of Experimental Criminology 2005;1:239-262.
- Karakurt G, Whiting K, Esch C, Bolen SD, Calabrese JR. Couples therapy for intimate partner violence: A systematic review and meta‐analysis. Journal of Marital and Family Therapy 2016;42:567-583.
- Smedslund GC-A, J., Dalsbo TK, Steiro AK, Winsvold A. Cognitive behavioural therapy for men who physically abuse their female partner. 2011: .
- McMurran M. Motivational interviewing with offenders: A systematic review. Legal and Criminological Psychology 2009;14:83-100.
- Tarzia L, Forsdike K, Feder G, Hegarty K. Interventions in Health Settings for Male Perpetrators or Victims of Intimate Partner Violence. Trauma Violence & Abuse 2017:1524838017744772.
- Arias E, Arce R, Vilariño M. Batterer intervention programmes: A meta-analytic review of effectiveness. Psychosocial Intervention 2013;22:153-160.
- Akoensi TD, Koehler JA, Lösel F, Humphreys DK. Domestic violence perpetrator programs in Europe, Part II: A systematic review of the state of evidence. International Journal of Offender Therapy and Comparative Criminology 2013;57:1206-1225.
- Stover C, Meadows A, Kaufman J. Interventions for intimate partner violence: review and implications for evidence-based practice (Structured abstract). In: Professional Psychology, Research and Practice; 2009. p 223-233.
- Babcock JC, Green CE, Robie C. Does batterers' treatment work? A meta-analytic review of domestic violence treatment. Clinical Psychology Review 2004;23:1023-1053.
- Wathen CN, MacMillan HL. Interventions for violence against women: scientific review. Jama 2003;289:589-600.
Miriam Entesarian Matsson, Therese Åström and Agneta Brolund at SBU.