Coping Power is a school-based program addressing children with high levels of aggressive behaviour and conduct problems. The program uses cognitive-behavioural techniques to help children develop skills in emotion recognition and awareness, anger coping, perspective taking, goal setting, and social problem solving.
Is there evidence for coping power programmes that are led without parent involvement in groups at the school’s afternoon activities for 9-12-year olds?
No systematic reviews were identified but 9 primary studies were found. The primary studies were not assessed for risk of bias.
- Jurecska DE, Hamilton EB, Peterson MA. Effectiveness of the Coping Power Program in middle-school children with disruptive behaviours and hyperactivity difficulties. Support for Learning. 2011;26(4):168-72.
- McDaniel SC, Lochman JE, Tomek S, Powell N, Irwin A, Kerr S. Reducing Risk for Emotional and Behavioral Disorders in Late Elementary School: A Comparison of Two Targeted Interventions. Behavioral Disorders. 2018;43(3):370-82.
- Muratori P, Bertacchi I, Giuli C, Lombardi L, Bonetti S, Nocentini A, et al. First adaptation of coping power program as a classroom-based prevention intervention on aggressive behaviors among elementary school children. Prevention science : the official journal of the Society for Prevention Research. 2015;16(3):432-9.
- Muratori P, Bertacchi I, Giuli C, Nocentini A, Lochman JE. Implementing Coping Power Adapted as a Universal Prevention Program in Italian Primary Schools: a Randomized Control Trial. Prevention science : the official journal of the Society for Prevention Research. 2017;18(7):754-61.
- Muratori P, Bertacchi I, Giuli C, Nocentini A, Ruglioni L, Lochman JE. Coping Power Adapted as Universal Prevention Program: Mid Term Effects on Children's Behavioral Difficulties and Academic Grades. The journal of primary prevention. 2016;37(4):389-401.
- Muratori P, Giuli C, Bertacchi I, Orsolini L, Ruglioni L, Lochman JE. Coping power for preschool-aged children: a pilot randomized control trial study. Early intervention in psychiatry. 2017;11(6):532-8.
- Muratori P, Milone A, Levantini V, Ruglioni L, Lambruschi F, Pisano S, et al. Six-year outcome for children with ODD or CD treated with the coping power program. Psychiatry research. 2019;271:454-8.
- Muratori P, Milone A, Manfredi A, Polidori L, Ruglioni L, Lambruschi F, et al. Evaluation of Improvement in Externalizing Behaviors and Callous-Unemotional Traits in Children with Disruptive Behavior Disorder: A 1-Year Follow Up Clinic-Based Study. Administration and policy in mental health. 2017;44(4):452-62.
- Mushtaq A, Lochman JE, Tariq PN, Sabih F. Preliminary Effectiveness Study of Coping Power Program for Aggressive Children in Pakistan. Prevention science : the official journal of the Society for Prevention Research. 2017;18(7):762-71.